What a nice view when I arrived this week. No scaffolding on the deck, the siding all done on the front and stucco ‘green layer’ completed. Which actually dries to a light grey color. This needs to sit for a week and the final stucco color coat will be put on on Tuesday, September 10th.
Bob has been putting in insulation each evening all week. He has been putting attic (R-30), wall (R-21) and wall (R19) all thru the house depending on the wall depth. Even with all the insulation we took out and saved as we tore up the inside of the house, at my last count he has made four trips to Reno to pick up insulation each time filling up the back seat and the bed of the truck. We should be nice and warm! For the new garage/workshop this also meant setting up scaffolding inside to reach the ceiling.
Bob, Larry and Elder all work together for the siding. They try to minimize the handling of the wood and climbing the scaffolding. It is time consuming and difficult work going up and down the scaffolding and just working at that height with the long and heavy boards takes it out of you. Everything takes longer than you think but the work is beautiful.
Another choice we had to make was about the eaves. The original eaves had been painted after we bought the house. So, we either had to paint them again to blend with the new siding and continue to paint them every few years or change the look. Bob decided he wanted to change the look and ‘box’ the eaves. So as I noted in an earlier post, each rafter was cut to square the end. Now as they are doing the siding they are cutting cedar to box in the rafter tails so that everything matches. The best part about this extra work is that we will not have to paint again. The whole house will simply be sealed with a sprayer each year or every other year and we should not have to do any exterior painting again! Retirement here we come!
The JenWeld doors were ordered finished but the door frames came unfinished. Bob decided that the front doors would look best if the frame was contrasted with the door by matching the siding. At first I was not sure, but now I am very happy with the look and it is unique. I painted each frame with pine conditioner so the stain would go on evenly; then painted the stain on for the second coat.
The kitchen cabinets were delivered-they take up half of the garage! I think Bob is going to be very busy in October and December so that we have a kitchen by January!
Labor Day weekend was the first change of pace for Bob since this started. We met at the coast near Salt Point Park, I rode up from Hayward, CA with Tricia and Jim. Bob drove over from Truckee, CA. The weather was beautiful. We also met our friends and their family at the coast. Saturday morning, the guys went Abalone diving and we had a wonderful ‘abb feed’ on Saturday night. Sunday was actually the better dive day, but we didn’t notice that until we went for a beautiful walk along the bluffs at Sea Ranch. Monday, we slept in and did a few chores at the cabin then Bob headed back to Truckee and Tricia, Jim and I headed back to Hayward.
So now we are all caught up. Next time I post, you will be seeing the items when I see them. Enjoy the fall weather, hope we get the roof on before the rains start!